Sunday, February 9, 2014

Poetic Injustice

Sometimes poetry isn't always pretty. I think people have this misconception about poets, as if every word that flows out our mouths is fully constructed ; every thought worth being written. It's not true. More times than not we are at an absolute lost for words and when we finally find them they are hardly coherent until glossed over. At least this is true with me. For every poem that I am half-way satisfied with there a dozen others crumbled beyond legibility. And even then I am subconsciously editing and re-editing until there is no other combination of stanzas and rhythmic cadences that could work. Sometimes my poems don't always rhyme and then sometimes they rhyme too much. I repeat myself, I over-emphasize. It's a mess and accurately so. Poetry is not without flaws, for me, it is embracing them. Sometimes poetry isn't always pretty, but it sure does sound that way, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment